Tuesday, February 5, 2013

You Are What You Eat: The Healthy Skin Diet

I do not usually talk about nutrition but I do believe that what you put into your body is just as important as what you put on your skin. I know, because shamefully, I was a smoker for longer than I care to admit. I didn't see it then but I see the damage now. Science says you can reverse it with injections and knives but that sounds expensive, painful and the results are sometimes worse, in my opinion. I say you can reverse it, naturally and with icing on top. Oh yes, these tasty treats have enough antioxidants to have that inner youth jump out and praise the heavens. 






 Avocados

Who would have thought to make avocados into cheesecake but I thank them. Avocados contain glutathione, a powerful antioxidants to helps fight free radicals in the body. Being rich in antioxidants, avocado is beneficial in preventing aging symptoms. The glutathione in avocado may boosts immune systems, slows the aging process, and encourages a healthy nervous system.



Mangoes

Try it fresh or even in this pudding recipe. Mangos clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples.


Nutrition by the Numbers
One cup (225 gms contain) contains the following. Percentages apply to daily value.

  • 105 calories
  • 76 percent vitamin C (antioxidant and immune booster)
  • 25 percent vitamin A  (antioxidant and vision)


Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-health-benefits-of-mangos.html#ixzz2I4hvExRi



Blackberries
Rich in antioxidants, blackberries are a great super food. As are all berries, blackberries are a great source of ellagic acid, an antioxidant shown to protect the skin from damage from ultraviolet light. Studies have also shown that ellagic acid may also repair skin damaged by the sun. Vitamin C helps heal wounds, and studies also show vitamin C may even lessen the appearance of wrinkles. Get your dose in these yummy muffins.




 Brazil Nuts
One of the richest food sources in antioxidants and can be made into a delightful treat like these cookies from Dan Lepard. Brazil nuts are the #1 plant source of selenium . The natural function of selenium in the human body is in the facilitation of glutatione, an enzyme that fights cancer causing free radicals. Selenium helps skin health by improving elasticity of the skin as glutathione also combats free radicals that can deteriorate skin collagen. It also is helpful in combating skin cancer.*


Kale
While kale doesn't sound so sweet, I can assure you that in a smoothie it is delicious. Deep green kale contains the highest levels of antioxidants of all vegetables and a good source of vitamin c. I've mentioned a million times how much Kale smoothie I drink and my skin has looked brighter and more refreshed. So much so, people have commented after just one week! Here is another recipe.


Pin It


Disclaimer: All images coincide with the recipes linked. Sources (in italic) on health benefits can be found here, here, here and finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...